MC 203N TEMPE, AZ 85287-2402
Associate Professor (Retired), School of Human Evolution and Social Change , College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
SHESC Themes: Culture, Heritage and Identity; Biological, Social and Cultural Dimensions of Human Health
Field Specializations: Ethnicity, Medical Anthropology, Psychological Anthropology, Ritual and Belief, Sociocultural Anthropology
Regional Foci: North America (West), Mesoamerica
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
Research:Michael Winkelman is principally interested in neurotheological perspectives on shamanism, traditional healing practices involving altered states of consciousness and intercultural relations and cross-cultural competency. Areas of longstanding interest include the psychophysiological and social bases of traditional magico-religious healing systems.
Winkelman's applied work focuses on U.S. interethnic relations and the development of cultural competency in the helping professions, especially medicine and nursing.
Teaching:Winkelman teaches classes on "Ethnic Relations in the U.S.," Culture and Health" and "Holistic Healing."
Winkelman, M. & Roberts, T. (Eds.) (2007). Psychedelic medicine: New evidence for hallucinogenic substances as treatments. Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Greenwood/Praeger.
Winkelman, M. (2006). American ethnic history. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendal Hunt Publishing.
Dubisch, J. & Winkelman, M. (Eds.) (2005). Pilgrimages and healing. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
Winkelman, M. (2005). Culture and health applying medical anthropology. Boston: McGraw Hill Custom Publications.
Winkelman, M. (2005). Cultural Awareness, Sensitivity and Competence. Peosta, Iowa: Eddie Bowers Publishing.
Winkelman, M. & Peek, P. (Eds.) (2004). Divination and healing: Potent vision. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
Winkelman, M. (2000). Shamanism: The neural ecology of consciousness and healing. Westport, Connecticute: Bergin & Garvey.
Winkelman, M. (1999). Ethnic sensitivity in social work. Dubuque, Iowa: Eddie Bowers Publishing.
- Michael Winkelman. Culture and Health: Applying Medical Anthropology. (2008).
- Michael WInkelman and John Baker. Supernatural as Natural: A Biological Theory of Religion. (2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Shamanism from Biogenetic Perspectives. Belief in the Past: Theory and the Archaeology of Religion (2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Shamanism in Biogenetic Perspective. Belief in the Past: Theory and the Archaeology of Religion (0).
- Neuberg,Steven Laurence*, Broome,Benjamin J, Millsap,Roger E, Schaefer,David, Schober,Juliane S, Taylor,Thomas J, Thomas,George, Warner,Carolyn, Winkelman,Michael James. AOC-The Dynamics of Religion and Conflict: A Multidisciplinary, Emperical Approach. NSF-SBE(1/1/2008 - 12/31/2011).
- Rice,Glen Eugene, Welsh,Peter Hamilton, Winkelman,Michael James. Preserve Petroglyphs of South Mountain Park. AZ STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATIO(9/6/2005 - 2/26/2010).
- Winkelman,Michael James. 3rd Party C/S: Preserving the Petroglyphs of South Mountain Park. AZ COMMUNITY FDN(9/6/2005 - 12/14/2008).
- Winkelman,Michael James. Program for Community Development in Ensenada. UABE-C(7/1/2004 - 12/31/2005).
- Winkelman,Michael James. DIFFERENTIATING THE ROLES OF SPIRITUALITY, RELIGIOSITY AND SOCIAL SUPPORT IN RECOVERY. UNIV OF AZ(9/30/2002 - 3/31/2004).
- Michael Winkelman and Carol Weingarten. Religion in Evolutionary Perspective. American Anthropological Association Religion in Evolutionary perspective (Nov 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Reviewed Session Religion in Evolutionary Perspective. American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting (Nov 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Introduction: Religion in Evolutionary Perspective. American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting (Nov 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Hominid Religious Evolution. American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting (Nov 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. The Evolution of the Ritual Capacity. Ritual Dynamics and the Science of Ritual. University of Heidelburg (Oct 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Biological and Social Bases of Ecstasy: The Integrative Mode of COnsciousness. 1 Internationaler Kongress uber ekstatische Zustande Hannove Medical School Hannover Germany (May 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Mexican American Ethnomedical Traditions. Transcultural Nursing Conference (Apr 2008).
- Michael Winkelman and Thomas Roberts. Psychedelic Medicine. World Psychedelic Forum Basel Switzerland (Mar 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Psychedelics and Human Evolution. World Psychedelic Forum Basel Switzerland (Mar 2008).
- Michael Winkelman. Ecumenical Approaches and Intentional Community Development as Avenues to Psychedelic Freedom of Religion. World Psychedelic Forum Basel Switzerland (Mar 2008).
- Winkelman, Michael. CommentsComments on Spiritual Ecology Session "Bringing the Religious Past into the Present". Annual Meeting American Anthropological Association
- The Church of the Holy Light of the Queen (AKA Santo Daime Church), Ashland Ore, expert witness for affadavit and court testimony (2008 - Present)
- Time and Mind, Associate Editor (2008 - Present)
- American Anthropological Association Committee on Minority Issues in Anthropology, Chair (2008 - 2008)
- CLAS Learning Comunities, faculty member (2008 - 2008)
- University Hearing Board, member (2008 - 2008)
- West Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Glendale, Speaker on Neuro-Theology/Biology of Religion (2008 - 2008)
- West Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Glendale, talk on Shamanism (2008 - 2008)
- Society for the Anthropology of Religion, Organizer (2007)
- Search committee for the two temporary positions for sociocultural anthropology, Chair (2005 - 2005)
- Radio One of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, interviewee (2004 - 2004)