Mick Dalrymple serves as a collaborative leader, expert in assembling stakeholder teams, envisioning sustainability solutions, designing the path to get there and creating results. Aim high and implement.
Dalrymple and the University Sustainability Practices team serve as internal consultants and facilitators in assisting the 125,000+ ASU community members achieve their aggressive sustainability goals, including carbon neutrality six years ahead of schedule.
Previously, as Practice Lead at the Walton Global Sustainability Solutions Services, Dalrymple led inter-disciplinary teams to conduct a cost-benefit analysis for the Albanian Ministry of Education on upgrading 3300 public schools for energy efficiency and sustainability; execute technical feasibility and economic development work for a company evaluating creating the world's largest algae fuels production facility in the Arizona desert; and conducting landcover analysis & tree benefit research to begin a tree and shade master plan for Tempe, among other projects. He managed ASU's research and marketing on the three-year $27M Energize Phoenix program to retrofit as much of downtown Phoenix as possible for energy efficiency. He also developed circular economy-related projects for Guatemala.
Dalrymple, a produced feature film screenwriter, frequently serves as a media resource and public speaker on sustainability topics. Committed to sustainability improvements in his personal life, he continues to remodel his 1975 home towards net zero energy usage, minimal waste, food production and reduced water usage. The Business Journal of Phoenix named him Green Pioneer in 2009 for his national and local contributions to the sustainability movement.
Sustainability Leadership Highlights
- Director, University Sustainability Practices and Deputy Chief Sustainability Operations Officer (2015 - current)
- Practice Lead, Walton Global Sustainability Solutions Services (2013 - 2015)
- Project Manager, Energize Phoenix, ASU Global Institute of Sustainability (2010 – 2013)
- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Arizona State University (2011 - current)
- Member, University Climate Change Coalition Steering Committee (2019 - current)
- Reviewer, Second Nature Climate Solutions Acceleration Fund (2020)
- Member, Second Nature Carbon Pricing in Higher Education Working Group (2018 - current)
- Member, Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Advisory Board (2018 - current)
- Member, Arizona Governor’s Stakeholder Group on Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (2011 – current)
- Director, U.S. Green Building Council National Board (2006-2010)
- Member, U.S. Green Building Council Finance Committee (2008-2012)
- Member, LEED Regionalization Task Force, U.S. Green Building Council (2007 – 2010)
- Member, Cookstoves for Africa Advisory Board, The Empowerment Society (2008 – 2012)
- Producer, Living In A LEED® Certified Home educational/marketing video (2009-2010)
- Adjunct Faculty, Rio Salado College (2010-2012), Arizona State University (2011 - 2014)
- Columnist, Ask An Expert, www.greenhomeguide.org (2008-2009)
- Guest Lecturer Thunderbird Graduate School of International Management, Arizona State University, Mesa Community College, Phoenix College, Collins College, Art Institute of Phoenix, and Scottsdale Community College (2005-current)
- Advisory Board, Green2Green.org building products database tool (2008-2010)
- Member, Solar Energy Industries Association (2008-2012)
- Chair, USGBC National Board Task Force on Green Product Certifications (2007)
- Creator, Earth Day Awareness Passport (2007)
- Founder, Cinema Verde Sustainable Film Festival (2006, 2007)
- Member, Green Building Expo Planning Committee (2005-2007)
- Co-Founder, a.k.a. Green Environmental Building Center (2005-2009)
- Founder, Green Drinks in Scottsdale, Phoenix (2005-2009)
- Member USGBC Chapter Steering Committee (2005-2006)
- Founding Member, USGBC Arizona Chapter Board of Directors (2002-2005)
- Chair, USGBC Arizona Chapter Communications Committee (2002-2005)
- Creator, Build It Green! home improvement television series (2002-2009)
Other Leadership Highlights
- Member, President’s Advisory Council, Rio Salado College (2009 – current)
- President, Camelback Canyon Estates HOA (2018-2020)
- Key leader in creation of Arizona’s first statewide university financial aid program, which now helps over 3,100 students per year pursue higher education.
- Co-writer and co-executive producer of the feature film Y2K (now Terminal Countdown) with Lou Gossett Jr. and Malcolm McDowell
- Significant management and client accomplishments in Internet strategy and technology consulting for Fortune 50 and start-up companies, including direct line management of a team of twenty consultants
- Significant international career project management and business leadership accomplishments in the filmed entertainment and advertising industries
- Former Executive Director of the Arizona Students Association
- Living Building Challenge Ambassador (2015 - 2019)
- International Energy Conservation Code Certified Residential Plans Examiner (2011)
- LEED Accredited Professional (originally accredited in 2004)
- LEED AP BD&C (2010 - current)
- LEED for Homes AP (2009 - current, first in Arizona)
- Accredited Green Verifier, NAHB National Green Building Certification (2009 - 2010)
- Building Performance Institute Certified Building Analyst Professional (2010 – 2014)
Master of International Management (1998)
Thunderbird, The American Graduate School of International Management, Glendale, Arizona
Master of Business Administration (1998)
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
Intensive Spanish Program (1996, 1988)
Center for Bilingual Multicultural Studies, Cuernavaca, Mexico
Proficient in business Spanish
Bachelor of Arts with High Distinction (1987)
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
Subject Areas: Electrical Engineering, Math, International Relations
- Dalrymple,Michael Sean*, Buch,Rajesh, Dutta,Uttaran, Englin,Jeffrey Eric, Fowler,John, Landis,Amy Elaine, Manfredo,Mark R. Feed the Future Egypt Food Security and Agribusiness. CNFA(7/20/2015 - 7/19/2016).
- Oneill,Gerald Daniel*, Boradkar,Prasad, Buch,Rajesh, Carr Kelman,Candice, Dalrymple,Michael Sean, Whetten,Glenda Raquel. Creating a Circular Economy Curriculum (ASUF 30006597). (7/1/2015 - 6/30/2016).
- Dalrymple,Michael Sean*, Defilippis,Mara Charise, Parrish,Kristen. Scottsdale ESPM Assessment. CITY OF SCOTTSDALE(8/21/2014 - 4/1/2015).
- Oneill,Gerald Daniel*, Buch,Rajesh, Dalrymple,Michael Sean, Seager,Thomas Payson. Resource Innovation and Solutions Network (RISN). CITY OF PHOENIX(7/2/2014 - 6/30/2018).