Student InformationGraduate Student
Biology (Biology and Society)
The College of Lib Arts & Sci
Carly Busch is a fourth year PhD candidate in ASU's Biology and Society program, advised by Dr. Katelyn Cooper and Dr. Sara Brownell. She researches ways to make undergraduate biology education spaces (e.g., classrooms, research experiences) more inclusive. Currently, she is investigating the impact of an instructor revealing their LGBTQ+ identity during class on the students.
B.A. in Biology, Whitman College, 2015
10. Wiggins BL, Lily LS#, Busch CA#, Landys MM#, Shlichta JG#, Shi T#, Ngwenyama TR#. (2023). Public exams may decrease anxiety and facilitate deeper conceptual thinking. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research. #These authors contributed equally.
9. Busch CA, Cooper KM, Brownell SE. Women drive efforts to highlight concealable stigmatized identities in U.S. academic science and engineering. In press at PLOS ONE.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
8. Busch CA*, Weisenthal NJ*, Mohammed TF, Anderson S^, Barstow M^, Custalow C^, Gajewski J^, Garcia K^, Gilabert C^, Hughes J^, Jenkins A^, Johnson M^, Kasper C^, Perez I^, Robnett B^, Tillett K^, Tsefrekas L^, Goodwin EC, Cooper KM. The disproportionate impact of fear of negative evaluation first-generation college students, LGBTQ+ students, and students with disabilities in college science courses. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 22(3), ar4. *These first authors contributed equally. ^These authors contributed equally.
7. Araghi T*, Busch CA*, Cooper KM. The aspects of active learning science courses that exacerbate and alleviate depression in undergraduates. CBE—Life Sciences Education, 22(2), ar10. *These authors contributed equally
6. Busch CA, Mohammed TF#, Nadile EM#, Witt ML*, Vargas C*, Tran M*, Gazing Wolf J*, Brister D*, Cooper KM. (2023). Costs and benefits of undergraduates revealing depression to online science instructors. CBE—Life Sciences Education, 22(1), ar9. #These authors contributed equally. *These authors contributed equally.
5. Abraham AE, Busch CA, Brownell SE, Cooper KM. (2022). Should I write about mental health on my med school app? Examining medical school admissions committee members’ biases regarding mental health conditions. Advances in Physiology Education, 46(4), 526-539.
4. Busch CA, Mohammed TF, Nadile EM, Cooper KM. (2022). Aspects of online college science courses that alleviate and exacerbate undergraduate depression. PLoS ONE 17(6): e0269201. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0269201
3. Busch CA, Supriya K, Cooper KM*, Brownell SE* (2022). Unveiling concealable stigmatized identities in class: The impact of an instructor revealing her LGBTQ+ identity to students in a large-enrollment biology course. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 21(2). doi:10.1187/cbe.21-06-0162 *These senior authors contributed equally.
2. Abraham AE, Busch CA, Brownell SE*, Cooper KM* (2022). Instructor perceptions of student incivility in the online undergraduate science classroom. Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education, e00271-21. *These senior authors contributed equally.
1. Mohammed TF#, Nadile EM#, Busch CA#, Brister D*, Brownell SE, Claiborne CT*, Edwards BA*, Gazing Wolf J*, Lunt C*, Tran M*, Vargas C*, Walker KM*, Warkina TD*, Witt ML*, Zheng Y, Cooper KM. (2021). Aspects of large-enrollment online college science courses that exacerbate and alleviate student anxiety. CBE–Life Sciences Education, 20(4). doi:10.1187/cbe.21-05-0132 #These first authors contributed equally. *These authors contributed equally.
|Course Number||Course Title|
|BIO 494||Special Topics|
NSF Graduate Research Fellow