Filiz Ozel is an Emeritus Professor in The Design School in the The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University. She received her B.Arch and M.Arch degrees from Middle East Technical University and her doctorate in architecture from University of Michigan. Since joining ASU, Ozel has been teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses, such as Digital Design as well as Design Computation. Her research focuses on life safety issues in buildings, human behavior in fires, algorithmic and parametric approaches in digital design, as well as solar access issues in codes and zoning ordinances. Her work has been published in leading journals and presented at leading conferences in fire and life safety in buildings as well as in design computation. She has served in administrative positions at several universities among which are: associate vice provost for graduate academic programs at ASU, director of the PhD program in design, environment and the arts at ASU (currently); assistant director of the School of Architecture at ASU; founding department chair of the Interior Architecture department at Bilkent University, etc.
- Ph.D. Architecture, University of Michigan
- M.Arch. Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- B.Arch. Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration, Bryn Mawr College, PA
The relationship between architecture, design and the sciences, design computation, life safety performance of buildings and egress design, and human behavior in fire emergencies in buildings.
- Ozel, F., "Solar Access Element in General Plans and Zoning Ordinances for Hot and Arid Cities", paper reporting the findings of the DOE funded study titled the Arizona Rooftop Challenge Project, 2013.
- "SolarPierce: A Solar Path Based Generative System”. Article published in the proceednngs of the eCAADe 2013 conference, Delft University, the Netherlands, Sept 2013”
- “Global and local design identities: East meets West”, article published in the proceedings of the ACSA Fall 2011 conference, Houston, TX, 2011
- "Pattern Language and Embedded Knowledge in Building Information Modeling", article to appear in the proceedings of eCAADe 2007 conference, Wiesbaden, Germany, 2007
- "Towards dynamic real-time informative warning systems", (co-author Robert Pahle), chapter to appear in the book titled "Visualizing Sustainable Planning Models", Springer Verlag, Heidelberg,Germany, 2007
- "Life safety code provisions and their impact on emergency egress behavior of people during fires", article published in the book titled "Unintended Consequences", Arizona State University, College of Design Publications, July 2007
- "Confluence of Building Information for Design, Construction and Management of Buildings", article published in the Journal of Architectural Computing, 2005.
- "Standardization of Building Information Management", in the proceedings of SIGRADI-2004 conference, VIII IberoAmerican Congress of Digital Graphic, Sao Leopoldo, Brazil, November 2004.
- Ozel, F., "Modulation and Mathematical Basis of Design", the proceedings of eCAADe conference, (European Association for Computer Aided Design), Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2004
- "An Evolutionary System to Generate Multi-objective Architectural Design Solutions" (co-author: Ajith Mulky), in the conference proceedings of GCAD '04 (Generative CAD Systems Symposium), Carnegie Mellon Institute, Pittsburgh, July, 2004
- "Data modeling issues in simulating the dynamic processes in life cycle analysis of buildings", (co-author: N. Kohler) in the journal Automation In Construction, Fall 2003
- "Data Modeling of Buildings with BmXML\(co-authors: Robert Pahle, Manu Juyal), the proceedings of the eCAADe 2003 conference, Graz, Austria, September 2003
- "The Impact of Digital and Manual Media on the Conceptualization Capability of Architects", (Co-authors, Abdelhameed, W., Abdellatif, M., & Daef, M.A.), Journal of Engineering Sciences (JES), October, 2003.
- "An XML Framework for Data Modeling of Buildings", (co-authors: Pahle, R., and Juyal, M.), International Journal of Design Computing, Fall 2003
- "Hierarchic verses Network Data Modeling of Buildings in XML", (co-authors: Juyal, M. and Pahle, R.) The Proceedings of the ARCC Conference, April, 2003
- "Data Modeling and Databases in Life Cycle Analysis of Buildings", (co-author Niklaus Kohler), the Proceedings of ACADIA 2002 Conference, October 2002
- "A Web-Base Daylighting Analysis Tool" (co-authors Hansa Makhija & Harvey Bryan) Proceedings of the 27th National Passive Solar Conference, American Solar Energy Society, R. Campbell-Howe, editor, Reno, NV., June 2002, pp. 509-514
- "Multi-hazard Mitigation during Post-disaster Recovery Following an Earthquake", the Proceedings of the ACSA 2001 International Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June, 2001
- "Time Pressure and Stress as a Factor During Emergency Egress", Safety Science Journal, Elsevier Publishers, the Netherlands, Spring 2001
- Bryan,Harvey John*, Bryan,Harvey John*, Miller,Clark Anson, Ozel,Filiz, Ozel,Filiz, Reichman,Anne. Arizona SunShot Breakthrough Project. Governor's Off of Energy Pol(3/1/2012 - 6/28/2013).
- Chasey,Allan Dee*, Baral,Chitta Ranjan, Ozel,Filiz, Wiezel,Avi. Research Support for Engineering Processes for Facility Delivery Activities and Facility Sustainment Management. DOD-ARMY-USACERL(9/14/2006 - 9/20/2011).
- Allison,Maria Teresa*, Ozel,Filiz, Zatz,Marjorie S. Pathways to Success: An Undergraduate-Graduate Collaboration. CGS(1/1/2005 - 1/1/2007).
- Allison,Maria Teresa*, Ozel,Filiz, Zatz,Marjorie S. ResCom-Building Research Communities for Doctoral Education. CGS(11/1/2004 - 5/31/2007).
- Ozel,Filiz*. DATABASE APPLICATIONS. O'NEIL ASSOC(10/1/2000 - 12/31/2000).
- Ozel,Filiz*. COMPUTER APPLICATIONS IN ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE. MITTELSTAEDT GROVER COOPER(4/10/2000 - 8/19/2000).
- Ozel,Filiz*. KENYON DE VALERIA STUDENT PLACEMENT. KENYON DE VALERIA ARCHTS(4/1/2000 - 5/15/2000).
- Ozel,Filiz*. DMJM RESEARCH PLACEMENT. DMJM ARCHITECTS(1/4/1999 - 12/31/1999).
- Ozel,Filiz*. RIO SALADO - AIA WEB SITE DEVELOPMENT. ARCHEOLOGICAL INST OF AMERICA(6/15/1998 - 4/15/2000).
- Ozel,Filiz*, San Martin,Ignacio. FORTECH DEVELOPMENT PROJECT. FORTECH DEVELOPMENT COMPANY(1/1/1998 - 5/31/1998).
- Ozel,Filiz*. ORCUTT/WINSLOW RESEARCH PROJECT-LOBO. ORCUTT/WINSLOW PARTNERSHIP(8/15/1997 - 8/15/1998).
1999-present Professor of Architecture, The Design School, Arizona State University
2007-2011 Associate Vice Provost for Graduate Academic Programs, Graduate College, Arizona State University
2003-2007 Associate Dean for Graduate Academic Programs, Division of Graduate Studies, Arizona State University
2000-2001 Interim Director, PhD in Environmental Design and Planning, Arizona State University
1997-2000 Assistant Director, School of Architecture, Arizona State University
Coordinator of the academic program review and the accreditation review of the School's programs
1993-1995 Graduate Coordinator, College of Architecture, Construction Management & Planning, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada
1989-1992 Assistant Profesor, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ
1987-1989 Founding Chair, Dept. of Interior Architecture, Bilkent University, College of Fine Arts, Ankara, Turkey