- SANTAN 235C POLYTECHNIC CAMPUS ,
Robert Hinks, after three years as an assistant professor at University of California-Davis, joined the Department of Civil Engineering at Arizona State University in 1981. In 2004, he transferred to the new Department of Engineering at the Polytechnic campus.
Dr. Hinks has extensive experience in teaching engineering courses over the entire spectrum from freshman to graduate level. They include Introduction to Engineering Design, Civil Engineering Systems, Static Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Water Resources Engineering, and Engineering Hydrology, to name just a few. He has received accolades for excellence in teaching, including Professor of the Semester and Excellence in Teaching from the ASU student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Teaching Excellence award from the College of Engineering at ASU (1988 and 1996). He has served two terms as faculty advisor to the Chi Epsilon national civil engineering honor society, ASU chapter.
At the Polytechnic campus, he is one of the founding faculty team pioneering the development of a completely revamped method of engineering education, many components of which are unique within the system of large public universities.
B.Sc. (Eng.) degree in Civil Engineering, summa cum laude, from the University of Wales in the United Kingdom in 1969 M.S.E., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees from Princeton University in 1974, 1975, and 1979, respectively
Optimal use of water resources
- Hinks, Robert, Mays, Larry. Hydrology for Water-Excess Management. McGraw-Hill (2004).
- Morrell,Darryl Richard*, Henderson,Mark Richard, Hinks,Robert W. Engineering Connections Environments: Developing learner Centered Interfaces to Technical Content Modules. AZ BOARD OF REGENTS(4/1/2006 - 9/30/2007).
- Hinks,Robert W*, Saltz,Charlene. Development of a School District Based Field Science Research Program for K-12 Teachers and Students. AZ BOARD OF REGENTS(5/16/2004 - 7/31/2005).
- Hinks,Robert W*, Fiori,Christine Marie, Garcia,Antonio Agustin, Rankin,Robert Lawrence. DEVELOPMENT OF LEARNER-FOCUSED DESIGN PROJECT MODULES FOR THE FRESHMEN COURSE ECE100. AZ BOARD OF REGENTS(1/1/2003 - 6/30/2004).
- Hinks,Robert W*. ENFORCING AZ GROUNDWATER MGMT ACT:IMPLICATION FOR AGRI & IND. UNIV OF AZ WATER RESOURCE CTR(6/1/1988 - 5/31/1991).
- Hinks,Robert W*. NSF YOUNG ENGINEERING SCHOLARS PROGRAM AT ASU. NSF(2/15/1988 - 1/31/1991).