BYENG 678 TEMPE, AZ 85287-9309
Professor EmeritusDepartment of Industrial EngineeringIra A. Fulton School of Engineering
Norma Hubele is professor emeritus (Dec. 2006) and founder of TheAutoProfessor.com, a free website for car safety ratings and information. The last position held at ASU was as the Director of Strategic Initiatives for the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering. In that capacity she created the very successful undergraduate research program call FURI (Fulton Undergraduate Research Initiatives) as well as Fulton-funded undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships. Dr. Hubele was a professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering at Arizona State University. She has been with ASU since 1984 in both faculty and administrative positions. Hubele graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, where she received her undergraduate degree in mathematics. She received her graduate degree in Operations Research and Statistics and her doctorate in Computer and Systems engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. During her studies, she worked as a research analyst and consultant in academia and industry. After completing her Ph.D., she became co-owner and served as vice-president for Quality Control at the Phoenix-based Refrac System. Hubele remains a statistical consultant to various companies. Professor Hubele's research focuses on applied statistics, car safety statistics, process control and capability analysis. She has published over 50 papers on these topics in the most established and respected journals in her field. Professor Hubele has served on the editorial board of the Journal of Quality Technology and Quality Technology & Quantity Management, as a founding member. She has authored a widely-used Wiley textbook Engineering Statistics with George Runger and Douglas Montgomery and co-edited a volume entitled Statistical Process Control in Automated Manufacturing with professor emeritus J. Bert Keats.
1984, Ph.D. Computer Systems and Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1977, M.S. Operations Research and Statistics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1975, B.S. Mathematics, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Montgomery, Douglas C, Runger, George, Hubele, Norma Faris. Engineering Statistics, 4th Edition. (2007).
- Abdelaziz Berrado, Norma Hubele, Esma Gel. An empirical investigation into the distribution of flatness measurements. Quality Engineering (2006).
- George Karady, Gerald Heydt, Esma Gel, Norma Hubele. The utilization of Micromechanical Devices in a Power Circuit Breaker. Electric Power Component and Systems (2005).
- Norma Hubele, Abdelaziz Berrado, Esma Gel. A Wald Test for Comparing Multiple Capability Indices. Journal of Quality Technology (2005).
- Heydt,Gerald*, Gel,Esma Senturk, Hubele,Norma Faris, Karady,George G, Kim,Bruce Chang-Shik. EPNES: INTEGRATED MEMS AND ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES FOR THE NEXT GENERATION POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. NSF-ENG(10/1/2002 - 9/30/2006).
- Gel,Esma Senturk*, Hubele,Norma Faris. SGER: IDENTIFICATION OF GENERAL PROBABILITY MODELS FOR A TAXONOMY OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES. NSF-ENG(9/15/2002 - 10/31/2004).
- Runger,George*, Brem,Sarah Kate, Hubele,Norma Faris. CASE-BASED REASONING FOR ENGINEERING STATISTICS. NSF-EHR(12/1/2001 - 8/31/2003).
- Gorur,Ravi S*, Hubele,Norma Faris. RELIABILITY ENHANCEMENT OF POWER SYSTEMS VIA CONDITION ASSESSMENT & EARLY FAILURE DETECTION OF POLYMERIC EQUIPMENT. NSF-ENG(9/1/1997 - 9/30/2001).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Henderson,Mark Richard, Roberts,Chell Andelin. COST, TIME & QUALITY MANUFACTURING EVALUATION. NSF-ENG(9/1/1997 - 8/31/2001).
- Shunk,Dan Louis*, Bailey,James Edward, Henderson,Mark Richard, Hubele,Norma Faris, Mackulak,Gerald T, Mou,Jong-I, Roberts,Chell Andelin, Rollier,Dwayne A, Wolfe,Philip Maurice. AFFORDABLE MULTI-MISSILE MANUFACTURING PROGRAM. TEXAS INSTRUMENTS(7/21/1995 - 12/31/1996).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. CRITICAL EVALUATION OS STATISTICAL APPROACHES TO ENGINEERING PROBLEM SOLVING. NSF-EHR(2/1/1995 - 12/31/1997).
- Henderson,Mark Richard*, Hubele,Norma Faris, Roberts,Chell Andelin. FEATURE-BASED MANUFACTURING EVALUATION USING STATISTICAL PRO. NSF-ENG(9/15/1993 - 2/28/1997).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Anderson-Rowland,Mary Ruth, Montgomery,Douglas C. BROACHING EXPERIMENTATION. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(10/1/1991 - 2/28/1993).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Unidentifiable Investigator - Conversion. EVALUATION OF THE LASER DRILLING AND INSPECTION CAPABILITIES. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(2/21/1990 - 6/30/1992).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Keats,John Bert, Montgomery,Douglas C. STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL - PHASE III. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(6/15/1989 - 11/30/1990).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Keats,John Bert. STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL FOR IMPELLERS:PHASE II. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(1/11/1989 - 9/1/1990).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. DECISION MAKING USING LOAD FORECASTING. NSF-ENG(8/15/1988 - 1/31/1990).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. QUALITY ASSURANCE PROGRAM FOR MATERIAL TESTING METHODS & PRO. AZ DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION(7/1/1988 - 12/31/1988).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL OF THE IMPELLER LINE-PHASE I. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(6/27/1988 - 12/15/1990).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*, Liu,Ming-Cheng. EXPERT SYS FOR STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL DEVELPMT ON PC. MOTOROLA, INC(6/8/1988 - 9/30/1989).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL OF THE IMPELLER LINE. GARRETT TURBINE INDUSTRIES(3/18/1988 - 12/31/1989).
- Hubele,Norma Faris*. EXPERT SYS FOR STATISTICAL PROC CONTROL DEVLP ON PC, PHASE 0. MOTOROLA, INC(9/18/1987 - 10/15/1989).
- Keats,John Bert*, Hubele,Norma Faris. RAS LAB DEVELOPMENT. RAYTHEON COMPANY(8/1/1987 - 7/31/1989).
- Unidentifiable Investigator - Conversion*, Hubele,Norma Faris. PRODUCT DEFINITION DATA INTERFACE. D APPELTON CO, INC(7/1/1987 - 6/30/1988).