Sandra Pizzarello is an Emeritus Professor and research professor in the School of Molecular Sciences at Arizona State University. She received her doctorate in biological sciences in 1955, from the Universitá degli Studi di Padova, Padova, Italy. She was a research associate with Farmitalia Research Laboratories Neuropharmacology Dpt. Milan, Italy from 1957-1960.
Her research for the last 30 years has been devoted to the study of the organic material in carbonaceous chondrite meteorites, with emphasis on the molecular, isotopic, and chiral characterization of their soluble compounds. More recently, it has focused on the study of the non-racemic amino acids of meteorites, with compound specific isotopic analyses as well as model syntheses that would mimic their prebiotic catalytic activity and reactions.
Ph.D. Universitá degli Studi di Padova, Italy 1955
My research of over thirty years has been devoted to the study of the organic material in carbonaceous chondrite meteorites, with emphasis on the molecular, isotopic, and chiral characterization of their soluble compounds. More recently, it has focused on the study of the non-racemic amino acids of meteorites, with compound specific isotopic analyses as well as model syntheses that would mimic their prebiotic catalytic activity and reactions.
"The Aguas Zarcas (CM2) meteorite: New insights into early solar system organic chemistry" Meteoritics and Planetary Science (2020) doi: 10.1111/maps.13532
"The soluble organic compounds of the Mukundpura meteorite: A new CM chondrite fall" Planetary and Space Science 164 (2018) doi: 10.1016/j.pss.2018.07.002
"Chiral molecules in space and their possible passage to planetary bodies recorded by meteorites" Earth and Planetary Science Letters 496, 198-205 (2018) doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2018.05.026
"Sutter's Mill dicarboxylic acids as possible tracers of parent-body processes" Meteorit. Planet. Sci. 1-8 (2014) doi: 10.1111/maps.12264
"Processing of meteoritic organic materials as a possible analog of early molecular evolution in planetary environments" Pizzarello S., Davidowski S. K., Holland G.P. and Williams L.B. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 15614-15619 (2013) doi: 10.1073/pnas.1309113110
"Radar-enabled recovery of the Sutter's Mill meteorite, a carbonaceous chondrite regolith breccia" Jenniskens et al. Science 338, 1583-1587 (2012). doi: 10.1126/science.1227163
"Catalytic syntheses of amino acids and their significance for nebular and planetary chemistry" Pizzarello S. Met. Planet. Sci. 47, 1291-96 (2012). doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01390.x
“Ammonia in the early solar system: An account from meteorites" Pizzarello S. and Williams L.B. Ap.J 749, 161-166 (2012). doi: 10.1088/0004-637X/749/2/161
"Hydrogen cyanide in the Murchison meteorite" Pizzarello S. Ap. J 754, L:27 (2012).doi: 10.1088/2041-8205/754/2/L27
"Large enantiomeric excesses in primitive meteorites and the diverse effects of water in cosmochemical evolution" Pizzarello S., Schrader D.L., Monroe A.A. and Lauretta D.S. PNAS (2012). doi: 10.1073/pnas.1204865109
"Abundant ammonia in primitive asteroids and the case for a possible exobiology" Pizzarello S., Williams L.B., Lehman J., Holland G.P. and Yarger J.L, P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108, 4303-4306 (2011). doi: 10.1073/pnas.1014961108
"The soluble organic compounds of the Bells meteorite: Not a unique or unusual composition" Monroe A.A. and Pizzarello S. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 75, 7585-7595 (2011). doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2011.09.041
Selected Publication List
"Stereoselective syntheses of pentose sugars under realistic prebiotic conditions" Pizzarello S. and Weber A. L. Origin Life Evol. Biosph 40, 3-10 (2010).
"Nitrogen-containing compounds in two CR2 meteorites: 15N composition, molecular distribution and precursor molecules" Pizzarello and W. Holmes Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 73, 2150-62 (2009).
"Molecular asymmetry in extraterrestrial chemistry: Insights from a pristine meteorite" Pizzarello S., Huang Y. and Alexandre M.D.R. PNAS 105, 7300-04 (2008).
"The chemistry of life's origin: A carbonaceous meteorite perspective" Pizzarello S. Acc. Chem. Res. 39, 231-37 (2006).
"The deuterium enrichment of individual amino acids in carbonaceous meteorites: A case for the presolar distribution of biomolecules precursors" S. Pizzarello and Y. Huang Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 69, 599-605 (2005).
"Prebiotic amino acids as asymmetric catalysts" Pizzarello S. and Weber A. L. Science 303, 1151 (2004).
"The Organic Content of the Tagish Lake Meteorite " Pizzarello S., Huang Y., Becker L., Poreda R.J., Nieman R.A., Cooper G. and Williams M. Science 293, 2236-39 (2001).
"Enantiomeric excesses in meteoritic amino acids" Cronin J. R. and Pizzarello S. Science 275, 951-55 (1997).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*, Bose,Maitrayee, Williams,Peter. Earths in Other Solar Systems: Toward forming and discovering planets with biocritical ingredients. UNIV OF AZ(1/14/2015 - 1/13/2018).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*. THE ORGANIC COMPOSITION OF CR2 METEORITES: PREBIOTIC CHEMISTRY MADE EASY. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(9/1/2010 - 12/31/2015).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*. Meteoritic Amino Acids as Asymmetric Catalysts in Pre-Biotic Chemistry. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(8/28/2007 - 12/31/2012).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*, Shock,Everett, Shock,Everett. Non-racemic amino acids in meteorites: A gauge for aqueous processes in early solar system planetesimals. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(6/1/2007 - 5/31/2014).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*, Williams,Lynda B. Meteorite organics: Tracers of molecular asymmetry in cosmochemistry. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(4/1/2007 - 3/31/2012).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*. THE ORIGIN AND EVOLUTION OF METEORITE ORGANICS. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(4/15/2003 - 4/14/2007).
- Pizzarello,Sandra*. CHIRAL ANALYSES OF ORGANIC COMPOUNDS IN CARBONACEOUS METEORITES. NASA-GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CTR(4/15/2000 - 4/14/2004).
- Farmer,Jack*, Blankenship,Robert E, Buseck,P R, Buseck,P R, Christensen,Philip R, Cronin,John Read, Dowling,Thomas Edmunds, Dowling,Thomas Edmunds, Elser,James Joseph, Elser,James Joseph, Fagan,William Fredric, Garcia-Pichel,Ferran, Greeley,Ronald, Holloway,John Requa, Knauth,L Paul, Leshin,Laurie Ann, Mccartney,Martha Rogers, Minckley,W L, Oday,Peggy Anne, Pizzarello,Sandra, Sharp,Thomas, Tang,Carol Marie. EXPLORING THE LIVING UNIVERSE: ORIGIN, EVOLUTION & DISTRIBUTION OF LIFE IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR(7/1/1998 - 12/31/2004).