Dr. Barrila's expertise is in infectious disease and 3-D tissue engineering. Her research focuses on understanding the impact of spaceflight on human health and using that knowledge to also improve health here on Earth. This work uses both spaceflight analogs and spaceflight platforms (Shuttle, ISS, commercial vehicles) to study the influence of these environments on host-pathogen/microbiome interactions. She has been an investigator on 5 scientific payloads that have launched to the International Space Station (STS-131, STS-135, SpX-5, SpX-21, and upcoming on SpX-29), which included the first infection of human cells in space (using Salmonella and a 3-D intestinal epithelial model) and the first full duration virulence study performed in space (using Salmonella, E. coli and the nematode C. elegans). The team currently has two more upcoming ISS experiments in preparation. She also develops advanced 3-D tissue models (organotypic and organoid) containing immune cells for the study of disease both in space and on Earth.
- Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) 08/02 – 05/09* Ph.D. Biology/Biophysics - Cell, Molecular, Developmental Biology and Biophysics Program (*Defended 05/08)
- Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY) 08/98 – 05/02. B.S. Biochemistry
A full list of publications can be found at: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=1OTTAdAAAAAJ
- Sullivan DT, MacIntyre R, Fuda N, Fiori J, Barrila J*, Ramizel L. Analysis of glycolytic enzyme co-localization in Drosophila flight muscle. (2003) The Journal of Experimental Biology. 206: 2031-2038. * Misspelled as “Barrilla” in print
- Bacha U*, Barrila J*, Velazquez-Campoy A, Leavitt SA, Freire E. (2004) Identification of Novel Inhibitors of the SARS Associated Coronavirus Main Protease 3CLpro. Biochemistry. 43:4906-4912. * Co-first author
- Nadella M, Bianchet MA, Gabelli SB, Barrila J, Amzel LM. (2005) Structure and Activity of the axon guidance protein MICAL. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 102(46): 16830-16835.
- Sydnes MO, Hayashi Y, Sharma VK, Hamada T., Bacha U., Barrila J, Freire E, Kiso Y. (2006) Synthesis of Glutamic Acid and Glutamine Peptides Possessing a Trifluoromethyl Ketone Group as SARS-CoV 3CL Protease Inhibitors. Tetrahedron. 62: 8601 – 8609.
- Barrila J, Bacha U, Freire E. (2006) Long-Range Cooperative Interactions Modulate Dimerization in SARS 3CLpro. Biochemistry. 45(50): 14908 – 14916.
- Bacha U, Barrila J, Gabelli SB, Kiso Y, Amzel LM, Freire E. (2008) Development of Broad-Spectrum Halomethyl Ketone Inhibitors Against Coronavirus Main Protease 3CLpro. Chemical Biology and Drug Design. 72: 34-49.
- Wilson JW, Ott CM, Quick L, Davis R, Höner zu Bentrup K, Crabbé A, Richter E, Sarker S, Barrila J, Porwollik S, Cheng P, McClelland M, Tsaprailis G, Radabaugh T, Hunt A, Shah M, Nelman-Gonzalez M, Hing S, Parra M, Dumars P, Norwood K, Bober R, Devich J, Ruggles A, CdeBaca A, Narayan S, Benjamin J, Goulart C, Rupert M, Catella L, Schurr MJ, Buchanan K, Morici L, McCracken J, Porter MD, Pierson DL, Smith SM, Mergeay M, Leys N, Stefanyshyn-Piper HM, Gorie D, and Nickerson CA. (2008) Media ion composition controls regulatory and virulence response of Salmonella in spaceflight. PLoS ONE. 3(12):e3923. Epub 2008 Dec 12.
- Barrila J, Gabelli SB, Bacha U, Amzel LM, Freire E. (2010) Mutation of Asn28 disrupts the dimerization and enzymatic activity of SARS 3CLpro. Biochemistry. 49(20): 4308-17
- Sarker S, Ott CM, Barrila J, and Nickerson CA. (2010) Discovery of Spaceflight-related virulence mechanisms in Salmonella and other microbial pathogens: Novel approaches to commercial vaccine development. Gravitational and Space Biology 23(2): 75-78.
- Barrila J*, Radtke AL*, Crabbé A, Sarker SF, Herbst-Kravoletz MM, Ott, CM, Nickerson CA. (2010) Organotypic 3D cell culture models: using the rotating wall vessel to study host-pathogen interactions. Nature Reviews Microbiology. 8: 791-801. * Co-first author; Received the cover image of Nature Reviews Microbiology
- Nickerson, CA, Ott, CM, Castro, SL, Garcia, VM, Molina, TC, Briggler, JT, Pitt, AL, Tavano, JJ, Byram, JK; Barrila, J, Nickerson, MA. (2011) Evaluation of Microorganisms Cultured from Injured and Repressed Tissue Regeneration Sites in Endangered Giant Aquatic Ozark Hellbender Salamanders. PLoS ONE. 6(12): e28906.
- Crabbé A, Nielsen-Preiss SM, Woolley CM, Barrila J, Buchanan K, McCracken J, Searles, SC, Ott CM, Gonzalez MN, Wilson JW, Pierson D, Stefanyshyn-Piper HM, Hyman L, Nickerson CA. (2013) Spaceflight enhances cell aggregation and random budding in Candida albicans. PLoS ONE. 8(12): e80677.
- Crabbé A, Liu Y, Sarker SF, Bonenfant NR, Barrila J, Borg ZD, Lee JJ, Weiss DJ, Nickerson CA. (2015) Recellularization of Decellularized Lung Scaffolds Is Enhanced by Dynamic Suspension Culture. PLoS ONE. 10(5): e0126846.
- Yang J*, Barrila J*, Roland KL, Kilbourne J, Ott CM, Forsyth R, Nickerson CA. (2015) Characterization of the Invasive, Multidrug Resistant Non-typhoidal Salmonella strain D23580 in a Murine Model of Infection. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 9(6): e0003839. *Co-first author
- Yang J*, Barrila J*, Roland KL, Ott CM, and Nickerson CA. (2016) Physiological Fluid Shear Alters the Virulence Potential of Invasive Non-typhoidal Salmonella Typhimurium D23580. npj Microgravity. 2: 16021. DOI: 10.1038/npjmgrav.2016.21; * Co-first author
- Barrila J*, Ott CM*, LeBlanc C, Mehta SK, Crabbé A, Stafford P, Pierson DL, Nickerson CA. (2016) Spaceflight modulates gene expression in the whole blood of astronauts. npj Microgravity. 2, 16039. *Co-first author
- Barrila J*, Yang J*, Crabbé A, Sarker SF, Liu Y, Ott CM, Nelman-Gonzalez MA, Clemett SJ, Nydam S, Forsyth RJ, Davis RR, Crucian BE, Quiriarte H, Brenneman K, Sams C, Loscher C, Nickerson CA. (2017) Three-dimensional organotypic model of intestinal epithelial cells and macrophages reveals oxygen-dependent Salmonella enterica colonization patterns. npj Microgravity. 3:10. *Co-first author
- Barrila J, Crabbé A, Yang J, Franco K, Nydam S, Forsyth RJ, Davis R, Ott CM, Gangaraju S, Coyne CB, Bissell MJ, and Nickerson CA. (2018) Modeling Host-Pathogen Interactions in the Context of the Microenvironment: 3-D Cell Culture Comes of Age. Infect Immun. 86(11): e00282-18. (Invited Review)
- Barrila J, Sarker SF, Hansmeier N, Yang S, Buss K, Briones N, Park J, Davis RR, Forsyth RJ, Ott CM, Sato K, Kosnik C, Yang A, Shimoda C, Rayl N, Ly D, Landenberger A, Wilson SD, Yamazaki N, Steel J, Montano C, Halden RU, Cannon T, Castro-Wallace SL and Nickerson CA. (2021) Evaluating the effect of spaceflight on the host-pathogen interaction between human intestinal epithelial cells and Salmonella Typhimurium. npj Microgravity 7:9.
- Yang J, Barrila J, Ott CM, King O, Bruce R, McLean RJ, Nickerson CA. (2021) Longitudinal Characterization of Social Interactions of Multispecies Microbial Populations Recovered from Spaceflight Potable Water. npj Biofilms and Microbiomes. 7, 70.
- Nickerson CA, Colorado AA, Barrila J, Poste G, Ott CM. (2021) A Vision for the Next Generation of Spaceflight Microbiology: Human Health and Habitat Sustainability. Nature Microbiology. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41564-021-01015-6
- Barrila J*, Yang J, Franco K, Yang S, Buss K, Davis TJ, Aronow BJ, Bean HD, Davis RR, Forsyth RJ, Ott CM, Gangaraju S, Kang B, Hanratty B, Nydam SD, Nauman EA, Kong W, Steel J, and Nickerson CA*. (2022) Spaceflight analogue culture enhances the host-pathogen interaction between Salmonella and a 3-D biomimetic intestinal co-culture model. *Co-corresponding author. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 12: 705647. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcimb.2022.705647
- Franco K, Crenshaw K, Barrila J, Yang J, Gangaraju S, Davis RR, Forsyth RJ, Ott CM, Roland K, Curtiss III R, and Nickerson CA. (2022) Role of RpoS in regulating stationary phase Salmonella Typhimurium phenotypic responses under physiological low fluid shear conditions. mSphere. https://doi.org/10.1128/msphere.00210-22
- Ott CM, Crabbé A, Wilson JW, Barrila J, Castro S, and Nickerson CA. (2012) Microbial Stress: Spaceflight-induced alterations in microbial virulence and infectious disease risks for the crew, in Stress Challenges and Immunity in Space, Ed. Alexander Chouker. Springer, 2012. 482 pp.
- Barrila J, Wilson JW, Soni A, Yang J, Ott CM, Nickerson CA. (2016) Using spaceflight and spaceflight analogue culture for novel mechanistic insight into Salmonella pathogenesis, in Effect of Spaceflight and Analogue Culture on Human and Microbial Cells: Novel Insights into Disease Mechanisms. Eds. Nickerson, Ott, Pellis. Springer.
- Crabbé A, Barrila J, Ott CM, Nickerson CA. (2016) Outpacing Infectious Disease: Mimicking the Host-Pathogen Microenvironment, in Effect of Spaceflight and Analogue Culture on Human and Microbial Cells: Novel Insights into Disease Mechanisms. Eds. Nickerson, Ott, Pellis. Springer.
- Castro SL, Niesel DW, Barrila J, and Ott CM. (2016) Spaceflight and spaceflight analogue induced responses in Gram positive bacteria, in Effect of Spaceflight and Analogue Culture on Human and Microbial Cells: Novel Insights into Disease Mechanisms. Ed. C. A. Nickerson, C. M. Ott, N. Pellis. Springer.
- Yang J, Thornhill SG, Barrila J, Nickerson CA, Ott CM, and McLean JC. (2018) Microbiology of the Built Environment in Spacecraft Used for Human Flight, in Microbiology of Atypical Environments. Ed. Gurtler and Trevors. Elsevier.
- Ott CM, Crabbé A, Wilson JW, Barrila J, Castro S, and Nickerson CA. (2020) Microbial Stress: Spaceflight-induced alterations in microbial virulence and infectious disease risks for the crew, in Stress Challenges and Immunity in Space, 2nd edition. Ed. Alexander Chouker. Springer.
- Nickerson,Cheryl*, Barrila,Jennifer A. Combined Effects of Microgravity Analogue Culture and Incremental Oxygen Levels on Bacterial Pathogen Adaptive Responses. NASA-JOHNSON SPACE CTR(2/1/2015 - 1/31/2016).
- Nickerson,Cheryl*, Barrila,Jennifer A, Jurutka,Peter W, Sandrin,Todd Ryan. A New Dimension in Modeling Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) to Elucidate Novel Diagnostic Biomarkers and Microbiome Signatures. MAYO CLINIC SCOTTSDALE(1/1/2015 - 12/31/2015).
- Barrila,Jennifer A*, Nickerson,Cheryl. Evaluating the Spaceflight Infectious Disease Risk Potential of Pathogenic and Commensal microorganisms using Caenorhabditis elegans as a Human Surrog. NASA-JOHNSON SPACE CTR(9/9/2013 - 9/8/2014).
- Nickerson,Cheryl*, Barrila,Jennifer A. RNA Deep Sequencing and Metabolomic Profiling of Microgravity-Induced Regulation of the Host-Pathogen Interaction: An Integrated Systems Approach. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR(7/1/2013 - 6/30/2016).
- Nickerson,Cheryl*, Barrila,Jennifer A. High dimensional biology to understand the functional response of Salmonella to long-term multigenerational growth in the chronic stress of microgravity. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR(6/1/2015 - 5/31/2018).
- Nickerson,Cheryl*, Barrila,Jennifer A. Investigation of host-pathogen interactions conserved cellular responses and countermeasure efficacy during spaceflight using the human surrogate Caenorhabditis elegans. NASA-AMES RESEARCH CTR(7/13/2010 - 2/28/2017).
|Course Number||Course Title|
|LIA 194||Special Topics|
2019 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) - NASA and the White House
2014 Thora W. Halstead Young Investigator’s Award, American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR)
2006 Johns Hopkins University Dean’s Teaching Fellowship for “Stem Cell Biology in Development and Disease”
2005 St. Jude National Graduate Student Symposium travel award
2004 Protein Society Finn Wold Travel Award
2002 Syracuse University General Honors
2002 Syracuse University Department of Biology Award for Research and Scholarship
2002 George Stanton Award for Scholarship
2023-present Associate Editorial Board Member, npj Microgravity
2021 Editorial Board member, npj Microgravity
2017-2019 Editorial Board Member for Scientific Reports (Nature)
2015-2021 Associate Editorial Board Member, npj Microgravity
2015-2018 Managing Editor for npj Microgravity
2014-2015 Editorial Board Member for npj Microgravity
2022 Biological Sciences Superpanel for the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine decadal survey committee on Biological and Physical Sciences Research in Space (2023-2032)
2022 Invited Session Chair, “Crew Health During Spaceflight”, COSPAR: 44th Scientific Assembly. Athens, Greece (2022)
2019 Invited Session Chair, Nature-NASA Conference, The Microbiology of Human Spaceflight
2019 NASA Research Opportunities in Space Biology (ROSBio) grant review panel
2018 Biodesign Student Travel Grant, reviewer
2017 Freie Universität Berlin - Dahlem Postdoc Fellowships, External reviewer
2015-2018 Governing Board (Elected Member), American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR)
2015 National Institute of Food and Agriculture’s (NIFA) Exploratory Research program of the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative, External reviewer, 2015
Summer Undergraduate Researcher (06/99 – 08/99)
Pfizer Inc. (Groton, CT) through Manpower Temporary Agency (New London, CT)
Supervisor: Dr. Russell Poe, Analytical Research and Development
- Performed HPLC analysis to assess the purity of drug samples in a highly regulated environment