Bateman Physical Science B-233 TEMPE, AZ 85287-8301
Mail code: 8301Campus: Tempe
Emmanuel Soignard became the Eyring Materials Center (EMC) operations director in February 2018. The EMC is one of the Knowledge Enterprise core facilities at Arizona State University. The EMC is a multidisciplinary core facility initially established in 1974. It focusses on materials analysis, including biological samples, as well as materials synthesis, processing, and even high-pressure synthesis. The EMC has a world-renowned reputation in transmission electron microscopy. It not only caters to ASU researchers but also researchers and engineers from other institutions and industry, and pride itself in the quality of its work and customer service. In this position, Dr. Soignard oversees a team or experts and a suite of equipment but also provides research support himself.
Dr. Soignard's has been using a wide range of X-ray diffraction techniques since 1999, including synchrotron radiation based instruments. He also has built several Raman spectroscopy instruments including the one currently used in the EMC and has considerable spectroscopy expertise.
Dr. Soignard's research interest is in the area of materials under extreme conditions and in particular high pressure. He is interested in understanding the structural changes occurring in a material compressed to several 10s of gigapascals in a diamond anvil cell or a large volume press. As part of his work with EMC, he has collaborated on a variety of projects, for example, determining the peak metamorphic temperature of a rock using Raman spectroscopy of carbonaceous materials, and studying the changes happening in fingerprints on a substrate as a function of time using 3D optical profilometry.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University College London, London United Kingdom
- Bachelor's Earth Science, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, Lyon, France
- Benmore C., Gallington L.C., Soignard E. Intermediate range order in supercooled water. Molecular Physics (2019)
- De Alcaraz-Fossoul, J. Mancenido, M., Soignard, E., Silverman, N. Application of 3D Imaging Technology to Latent Fingermark Aging Studies. Journal of Forensic Science (2019).
- Long, Sean P., Gordon, Stacia M., Soignard, E., Distributed north-vergent shear and flattening through Greater and Tethyan Himalayan rocks: Insights from metamorphic and strain data from the Dang Chu region, central Bhutan. Lithosphere (2017).
- Chen, B., Wu, K., Suslu, A., Yang, S.J., Cai, H., Yano, A., Soignard, E., Aoki, T., March, K., Shen, Y.X., Tongay, S., Controlling Structural Anisotropy of Anisotropic 2D Layers in Pseudo-1D/2D Material Heterojunctions. Advanced Materials (2017)
- Cai, H., Chen, B., Wang, G., Soignard, E., Khosravi, A., Manca, M., Marie, X., Chang, S.L.Y., Urbaszek, B., Tongay, S., Synthesis of Highly Anisotropic Semiconducting GaTe Nanomaterials and Emerging Properties Enabled by Epitaxy. Advanced Materials (2017).
- Helwig, W., Soignard, E., Tyburczy, J.A., Effect of water on the high-pressure structural behavior of anorthite-diopside eutectic glass. Journal of non-Crystalline Solids (2016).
- Pant, A., Torun, E., Chen, B., Bhat, S., Fan, X., Wu, KD., Wright, D.P., Peeters, F.M., Soignard, E., Sahin, H., Tongay, S., Strong dichroic emission in the pseudo one dimensional material ZrS3. Nanosclae (2016).
- Cai, H., Soignard, E., Ataca, C., Chen, B., Ko, C.H., Aoki, T., Pant, A., Meng, X.Q., Yang, S.X., Grossman, J., Ogletree, F.D., Tongay, S., Band Engineering by Controlling vdW Epitaxy Growth Mode in 2D Gallium Chalcogenides. Advanced Materials (2016).
- Wu, K., Torun, E., Sahin, H., Chen, B., Fan, X., Pant, A., Wright, D.P., Aoki, T., Peeters, F.M., Soignard, E., Tongay, S., Unusual lattice vibration characteristics in whiskers of the pseudo-one-dimensional titanium trisulfide TiS3. Nature Communications (2016).
- Wu, K.D., Chen, B., Yang, S.J., Wang, G., Kong, W., Cai, H., Aoki, T., Soignard, E., Marie, X., Yano, A., Suslu, A., Urbaszek, B., Tongay, S., Domain Architectures and Grain Boundaries in Chemical Vapor Deposited Highly Anisotropic ReS2 Monolayer Films. Nano Letters (2016).
- Long, S.P., Gordon, S.M., Young, J.P., Soignard, E., Temperature and strain gradients through Lesser Himalayan rocks and across the Main Central thrust, south central Bhutan: Implications for transport-parallel stretching and inverted metamorphism. Tectonics (2016).
- Long, S.P., Soignard, E., Shallow-crustal metamorphism during Late Cretaceous anatexis in the Sevier hinterland plateau: Peak temperature conditions from the Grant Range, eastern Nevada, USA. Lithosphere (2016).
- Krivanek, O.L., Lovejoy, T.C., Dellby, N., Aoki, T., Carpenter, R.W., Rez, P., Soignard, E., Zhu, J.T., Batson, P.E., Lagos, M.J., Egerton, R.F., Crozier, P.A. Vibrational spectroscopy in the electron microscope. Nature (2014).
- Soignard, E., Hochheimer, H.D., Yarger, J., Raj, R. Reversible elastic deformation of functionalized sp(2) carbon at pressure of up to 33 GPa. Applied physics letters (2014).
- Leinenweber, K.D., Tyburczy, J.A. Sharp, T.G., Soignard, E, Diedrich, T, Petuskey W.B., Wang, Y.B., Mosenfelder, J.L. Cell assemblies for reproducible multi-anvil experiments (the COMPRES assemblies). American Mineralogist (2012).
- Rissi, E., Soignard E., McKiernan, K. A., Benmore, C.J. Yarger, J.L. Pressure-induced crystallization of amorphous red phosphorus. Solid State Communications (2012).
- Skinner, L.B., Benmore, C.J., Antao, S., Soignard, E., Amin, S.A., bychkov, E., Rissi, E., Parise, J.B., Yarger, J.L. Structural Changes in Vitreous GeSe4 under Pressure. Journal of physical chemistry C (2012).
- Benmore CJ, Soignard E, Guthrie M, Amin SA, Weber JKR, McKiernan K, Wilding MC, Yarger JL. High pressure X-ray difraction measurements on Mg2SiO4 glass. Journal of non-crystalline solids (2011).
- Benmore CJ, Soignard E, Amin SA, Guthrie M, Shastri SD, Lee PL, Yarger JL. Structural and topological changes in silica glass at pressure. Physical Review B (2010).
- Soignard E, Benmore CJ,Yarger JL. A perforated diamond anvil cell for high-energy x-ray diffraction of liquids and amorphous solids at high pressure. Review of Scientific Instruments (2010).
- Yang GA, Burean B, Rouxel T, Gueguen Y, Gulbiten O, Roiland C, Soignard E, Yarger JL, Troles J, Sangleboeuf JC, Lucas, P. Correlation between structure and physical properties of chalcogenide glasses in the AsxSe1-x system. Pysical Review B (2010).
- Erin N. Oelker, M. Harish Bhat, Emmanuel Soignard, Jeffery L. Yarger. Pressure-induced transformations in crystalline and vitreous PbGeO3. Solid State Communications (2009).
- Nylen J, Sato T , Soignard E , Yarger JL , Stoyanov E , Haussermann U. Thermal decomposition of ammonia borane at high pressures. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS (2009).
- Pierre Lucas, Ellyn A. King, Ozgur Gulbiten, Jeffery L. Yarger, Emmanuel Soignard, and Bruno Bureau. Bimodal phase percolation model for the structure of Ge-Se glasses and the existence of the intermediate phase. Physical review B (2009).
- Emmanuel Soignard, Olga Shebanova, Paul McMillan. Compressibility measurements and phonon spectra of hexagonaltransition-metal nitrides at high pressure: epsilon-TaN, delta-MoN, and Cr2N. Physical review B (2007).
- Mulki Bhat, V Molinero, Emmanuel Soignard, Virgil Solomon, Jeffery Yarger, Charles Angell. Vitrification of a monoatomic metallic liquid. Nature (2007).
- Qiang Mei, Chris Benmore, Emmanuel Soignard, Samrat Amin, Jeffery Yarger. Analysis of high-energy X-ray diffraction data at high pressure: the case of vitreous As2O3 at 32 GPa. Journal of physics: condensed Matter (2007).
- Kurt Leinenweber, J. Mosenfelder, T. Diedrich, Emmanuel Soignard, Thomas Sharp, James Tyburczy, James Tyburczy, Y. Wang. High-pressure cells for in-situ multi-anvil experiments. High Pressure Research (2006).
- McKelvy, Michael, Chizmeshya, Andrew, Andrew, V., Soignard, Emmanuel, Marzke, Robert, Wolf, George, Bearat, Hamdallah, Doss, Brandon. Laboratory investigation of fluid/solid sequestration reaction processes under in situ sequestration process conditions. (2006).
- Yarger,Jeffery Lynn*, Soignard,Emmanuel. Energy Frontier Research in Extreme Environments (EFree). CARNEGIE INSTITUTION OF WASHIN(8/1/2009 - 7/31/2012).
- Soignard, E. High Pressure Investigation of amorphous BeF2 and BeH2. SANP Workshop (Nov 2011).
- Soignard, E. Structural Characterization of oxide glasses at high pressure using perforated diamond anvil cell. Gordon Research Converence High pressure Research at (Jul 2010).
- Soignard, Emmanuel, Yarger, Jeffery. Exploration of phase transformations in supercooled liquids and amorphous solids. SMEC 2007 (Apr 2007).
- LE-CSSS Display case committee, member (2014 - Present)
- Outreach coordinator search committee, member (2014 - Present)
- IAP coordinator Search committee, chair (2011 - 2011)
- LE-CSSS director, member (2011 - 2011)