Nsa Dada is a vector biologist and microbial ecologist interested in how microbes shape mosquito biology and mosquito-borne disease transmission. She leads pioneering and award-winning research on microbe-mediated evolution of insecticide resistance in mosquito populations around the world. Dada is an assistant professor in the School of Life Sciences and the Biodesign Center for Fundamental and Applied Microbiomics. She is the founder and lead of the Mosquito Microbiome Consortium. She also leads initiatives towards closing research capacity gaps in Africa.
PhD Norwegian University of Life Sciences (Norway)
Research in the Dada Lab broadly focuses on understanding how biotic and abiotic factors shape the mosquito microbiome and in turn, disease transmission, and how we could leverage this knowledge for mosquito and mosquito-borne disease control. Our current focus is on understanding how insecticide use and resistance shape the mosquito microbiome. We study wild mosquito populations or their progeny under laboratory settings, as well as laboratory strains to better understand the complex interactions occurring in natural settings. We use classical entomological, molecular, ‘omics, and bioinformatics tools to answer our research questions.
- Diana M Proctor, Nsa Dada, Anna K Serquiña, Julia Willett. 2023 Problems with peer review shine a light on gaps in scientific training. mBio; e03183-22
- Warin Klakankhai, Sunaiyana Sathantriphop, Ratchadawan Ngoenklan, Nsa Dada, Vithee Muenworn, Tassanee Khawniam, Krajana Tainchum. 2023 Chemical Profiles and Lethal Toxicities of Native Botanical Insecticides for the Control of Musca domestica Linnaeus and Stomoxys indicus Picard (Diptera: Muscidae) in Songkhla Province, Thailand. Journal of Economic Entomology; toac202,
- Maurice Marcel Sandeu , Claudine Grâce Tatsinkou Maffo, Nsa Dada, Flobert Njiokou, Grant L. Hughes, Charles S. Wondji. 2022 Seasonal variation of microbiota composition in Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles coluzzii in two different eco-geographical localities in Cameroon. Medical and veterinary entomology, 36 (3), 269-282
- Dada, N.*, Benedict, A.C. , López, F.J. , Lol, J.C. , Sheth, M., Padilla, N. and Lenhart, A. 2021 Comparative characterization of internal and cuticle surface microbiota of laboratory-reared F1 Anopheles albimanus originating from different sites. Malaria Journal, 20:414
- Pelloquin, B. , Kristan, M., Edi, C., Meiwald, A., Clark, E., Jeffries, C. L., Walker, T., Dada, N.‡, Messenger, L. A.‡. 2021 Overabundance of Asaia and Serratia bacteria is associated with deltamethrin insecticide susceptibility in Anopheles coluzzii from Agboville, Côte d’Ivoire. Microbiology Spectrum, 9(2): e00157-21
- Overgaard, H. J., Dada, N., Lenhart, A., Stenstrom, T-A, & Alexander, N., 2021 Integrated management of Aedes-borne arboviral diseases and diarrheal diseases. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 99:583-592
- Omoke, D. , Kipsum, M., Otieno, S., Esalimba, E., Sheth, M., Lenhart, A., Njeru, EM., Ochomo, E., Dada, N.*, 2021. Western Kenyan Anopheles gambiae s.s. showing intense permethrin resistance harbor distinct microbiota. Malaria Journal, 20:77
- Dada N*, Jupatanakul N, Minard G, Short SM, Akorli J, and Villegas LM, 2021. Considerations for mosquito microbiome research from the Mosquito Microbiome Consortium. Microbiome, 9:36
- Ratisupakorn, S. , Lorn, S., Dada, N., Ngampongsai, A., Chaivisit, P., Ritthison, W., & Tainchum, K., 2021. Aedes albopictus (Skuse) susceptibility status to agrochemical-insecticides used in durian plantating systems in southern Thailand. Journal of Medical Entomology, 58:3
- Dada, N.*, Lol, J. C. , Benedict, A. C. , López, F. , Sheth, M., Dzuris, N., Padilla, N., & Lenhart, A. 2019 Pyrethroid exposure alters internal and cuticle surface bacterial communities in Anopheles albimanus. The ISME Journal, 13:2447-2464 2020 Charles C. Shepard Award for excellence in science (nominated)
- Nanthasane Vannavong , Razak Seidu, Thor-Axel Stenström, Nsa Dada, & Hans Jorgen Overgaard (2019) Dengue-like illness surveillance: a two-year longitudinal survey in suburban and rural communities in Laos and Thailand. WHO Western Pacific Surveillance and Response Journal, 10 (1)
- Nsa Dada, Mili Sheth, Kelly Liebman, Jesus Pinto & Audrey Lenhart (2018) Whole metagenome sequencing reveals links between mosquito microbiota and insecticide resistance in malaria vectors. Scientific Reports, 8 (2084)
- Nanthasane Vannavong , Hans Jorgen Overgaard, Chareyonviriyaphap Theeraphap, Nsa Dada, Ram Rangsin, Archawongs Sibounhom, Thor-Axel Stenström, & Razak Seidu (2017) Assessing factors associated with E. coli contamination of household drinking water in suburban and rural Thailand and Laos. Journal of Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, 18(3)
- Nanthasane Vannavong , Razak Seidu, Thor-Axel Stenstrom, Nsa Dada, Hans J. Overgaard (2017) Effects of socio-demographic characteristics and household water management on dengue vector production in suburban and rural villages in Thailand and Laos. Parasites & Vectors, 10 (170)
- Nsa Dada*, Estelle Jumas-Bilak, Sylvie Manguin, Razak Seidu, Thor-Axel Stenström, & Hans Jorgen Overgaard (2014) Comparative assessment of the bacterial communities associated with Aedes aegypti larvae and water from domestic water storage containers. Parasites & Vectors, 7(391)
- Nsa Dada*, Nanthasane Vannavong, Razak Seidu, Audrey Lenhart, Thor-Axel Stenström, Theeraphap Chareonviriyaphap, & Hans J. Overgaard (2013) Relationship between Aedes aegypti production and occurrence of Escherichia coli in domestic water storage containers in rural and sub-urban villages in Thailand and Laos. Acta Tropica, 126(3):177-185
- Hodges, M., Dada, N., Wamsley, A., Paye, J., Bangura, M., Nyorkor, E., Sonnie, M. & Zhang, Y. 2012. Mass drug administration significantly reduces infection of Schistosoma mansoni and hookworm in school children in the national control program in Sierra Leone. BMC Infectious Diseases, 12, 16.
- Hodges, M., Dada, N., Wamsley, A., Paye, J., Nyorkor, E., Sonnie, M., Barnish, G., Bockarie, M. & Zhang, Y. 2011. Improved mapping strategy to better inform policy on the control of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminthiasis in Sierra Leone. Parasites & Vectors, 4, 97.
- Ene E. Oku, Donald A. Ukeh and Nsa Dada, 2011. Prevalence and Seasonal Distribution of Daytime Biting Diptera in Rhoko Forest in Akamkpa, Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Zoological Research, 7: 279-285.
|Course Number||Course Title|
|BIO 598||Special Topics|
|Course Number||Course Title|
|BIO 598||Special Topics|
Nominee • Charles C. Shepard Award for excellence in science. Entomology Branch, CDC.
Nominee • Charles C. Shepard Award for excellence in science. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (CDC/ATSDR).
Recipient • Future Leader in International Medical Entomology (inaugural) Award. American Committee of Medical Entomology (ACME), American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)
Recipient • ASM-CDC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Infectious Diseases & Public Health
Recipient • Doctoral Research Fellowship. NMBU, Ås, Norway
- 2022-present mBio Editorial Board
- AD HOC PEER REVIEWER FOR SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS (2015-PRESENT):
- The ISME Journal
- ISME Communications
- FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- Microbial Ecology
- PLOS Neglected Tropical Disease
- Scientific Reports
- Parasites and Vectors
- Malaria Journal
- Journal of Vector Ecology
- Journal of Insect Science
- Int. J. Mol. Sci.
- Epidemiology & Infection
- Acta Tropica
- Afr. J. Bacteriol. Res.
- Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Frontiers in Microbiology
- Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health
- 2022-present Chair, ACME Travel Awards Committee
- 2021-present Executive Council Member, ACME
- 2020-present Member, International Society for Viruses of Microbes
- 2020-2021 Member, Norwegian Entomological Association
- 2019-present Member, Pan-African Mosquito Control Association
- 2019-present Associate Member, Microbiology Society, London, UK
- 2018-2019 Member, Entomological Society of America
- 2017-present Affiliate Member, Federation of European Microbiological Societies
- 2015-2020 Member, American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- 2015-2020 Member, American Committee of Molecular, Cellular and
- Immunoparasitology 2015-2020 Member, American Committee on Global Health
- 2015-present Member, American Committee of Medical Entomology (ACME)
- 2015-present Member, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)