Mary Jo Bitner is one of the founders of the service marketing discipline, committing her career to the study of cusotmer satisfaction in service encounters, customer-employee interactions, servicescapes, and technology delivered service.
She has published more than 50 journal articles in leading academic and managerial journals. She served as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Service Research and is the co-author of "Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm," a text translated into multiple languages and used around the world.
Professor Bitner served as the executive director of the W. P. Carey School's Center for Services Leadership, a globally recognized authority on how to compete strategically through the profitable use of services. She is also a co-founder and served as Co-Chair of the community for Responsible Research in Business and Management.
Among many honors, Professor Bitner has received the Christopher Lovelock Career Contributions to the Services Discipline Award from the American Marketing Association's SERVSIG, an IBM Faculty Award, the MMA Marketing Innovator Award and ISSIP's inaugural Fellow Award for Lifetime Achievement in Service Science. In 2019 she was awarded an honarary doctorate from the Hanken School of Business in Helsinki, Finland and was awarded the 2020 PhD Alumnus of the year award from the Foster School of Business, University of Washington, Seattle
- Ph.D. University of Washington
- M.B.A. University of Washington
- B.A. University of Washington
Service Marketing, Customer Satisfaction, Service Encounters, Customer-Employee Interactions, Technology-Delivered Service, Servicescapes.
Selected Recent Publications
- "A Vision for Responsible REsearch in Busienss and Management: Striving for Credible and Useful Knowledge," white paper, coauthored with Co-Founders of the Community for Responsible Research in Busienss and Management, 2017, see www.rrbm.network.
- Zeithaml, Valarie, Stephen W. Brown, Mary Jo Bitner, and Jim Salas, Profiting From Services and Solutions: What Product-Centric Firms Need to Know, Business Expert Press, 2014.
- Sirianni, Nancy J., Mary Jo Bitner, Stephen W. Brown, and Naomi Mandel, "Branded Service Encounters: Strategically Aligning Employee Behavior with the Brand Positioning," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 77, No. 6, November 2013, 108-123.
- Gallan, Andrew, Cheryl Burke Jarvis, Stephen W. Brown, and Mary Jo Bitner, "Customer Positivity and Participation in Services: An Empirical Test in a Healthcare Context," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 41, No. 3, May 2013, 338-356.
- Mende, Martin, Ruth N. Bolton, and Mary Jo Bitner, "Decoding Customer-Firm Relationships: How Attachment Styles Help Explain Customers' Preferences for Closeness, Repurchase Intentions, and Changes in Relationship Breadth," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 50, No. 1, February 2013, 125-142.
- Wunderlich, Nancy, Florian von Wangerheim, and Mary Jo Bitner, "High Tech and High Tough: A Framework for Understanding User Attitudes and Behaviors Related to Smart Interactive Services," Journal of Service Research, lead article, Vol. 16, No. 1, February 2013, 3-20.
- Cadwallader, Susan, Cheryl Burke Jarvis, Amy L. Ostrom and Mary Jo Bitner, “Frontline Employee Motivation to Participate in Service Innovation Implementation,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 38, No. 2, 251-, 2010.
- Ostrom, Amy L., Mary Jo Bitner, Stephen W. Brown, Kevin A. Burkhard, Michael Goul, Vicki Smith-Daniels, Haluk Demirkan, and Elliot Rabinovich, “Moving Forward and Making a Difference: Research Priorities for the Science of Service,” Journal of Service Research, 13 (1), February 2010, 4-36.
- Zeithaml, Valarie, Mary Jo Bitner and Dwayne D. Gremler, "Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm," 6th edition, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- Bitner, Mary Jo, Amy L. Ostrom, and Felicia N. Morgan, "Service Blueprinting: A Practical Technique for Service Innovation," California Management Review, Spring 2008, 66-94.
|Course Number||Course Title|
- 2014 Marketing Innovator Award, Marketing Management Association
- 2013 ISSIP Fellow Award for Lifetime Achievement in Service Science, International Society for Service Innovation Professionals
- Named Edward M. Carson Chair in Services Marketing, 2013
- 2010 Outstanding Professor, Doctoral Programs, W. P. Carey School of Business
- 2010 Distinguished Honored Professor, School of Management, Fudan University, Shanghai China
- 2005 IBM Faculty Fellow Award for Services Science
- Career Contributions to the Services Discipline award from the American Marketing Association, 2003
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Service Research, 2013-2017
- American Marketing Association Board Member (elected), 2011-2014
- Co-Chair for Services and Retailing Track (with Amy Ostrom), Winter AMA Educators Conference, 2011
- Co-Chair, American Marketing Association, Sheth Ph.D. Consortium, 2007
- Conference Co-Chair, Frontiers in Services Conference, 2005
- Editorial Review Board Member: Service Science, 2008-present
- Journal of Marketing, 1994-2005; 2008-present
- Journal of Service Management (formerly IJSIM), 2004-present
- Journal of Service Research, 1997-present