Profiles in "Environmental Social Science" Expertise Area
- Dr. Anderies is a professor with joint appointments in the School of Human Evolution and Social Change, the School of Sustainability, and the School of Complex Adaptive Systems.
- Medical Anthropologist and President's Professor at ASU, leading collaborative social science research that addresses complex global health and environmental challenges.
- Barton is a complex systems scientist who combines anthropology, archaeology, earth science, and information technologies to study long-term dynamics and interactions of people and landscapes in the Anthropocene.
- Harlan's studies sociology, the effects of urban heat on vulnerable populations and socio-environmental inequalities.
- Wutich is an anthropologist, methodologist, and cross-cultural researcher. An expert in water insecurity, her two decades of community-based fieldwork explore how people respond, individually and collectively, to extremely water-scarce conditions.
- Hackett's interests focus on sociology and the social organization and dynamics of scientific research.
- Bolin blends hazards geography, political ecology and critical theory to study environmental justice and human vulnerability to environmental and technological hazards.
- Using a behavioral epidemiology framework, Vargas studies behavioral processes involved in the management of oral health, asthma, food allergy, sleep, obesity, depression and suicidal behaviors.