After earning a bachelors in finance, I worked several years in the corporate sector before entering a PhD program in theoretical ecology. I went on to complete a postdoc in applied economics at the University of Vigo, Spain, and a second postdoc in complexity science at Arizona State University. Today, I am a complex systems scientist fusing data science, evolutionary theory, and a complex systems framework to study the world's most intractable problems - problems that typically stem from the conflict between individual desires and social goals, exhibit nonlinear or unpredictable responses to policy intervention, and are exacerbated by the increasing connectivity that comes with globalization and technological innovation. The complex systems I study most are cities - analyzing their socio-economic evolution and internal connectedness to understand the drivers of urban resilience and social (in)stability. In this context, I work on the development of data-driven models that help understand and predict the trajectory of urban development and economic transitions.
- Postdoctoral Scholar in Complex Systems, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA
- Postdoctoral Scholar in Applied Economics, University of Vigo, Vigo, Spain
- PhD in Biology, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA
- BS in Finance/Accounting, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Resilience and stability of networked systems
Complex adaptive systems
Evolutionary economic geography
Evolution of cooperation
Laboratory for Regional Dynamics and Development, Director
Complexity Economics Lab, co-Director
In review or revision
- ST Shutters, J Lobo. Transitioning to a Green Economy: Radical Transformation or Building Upon Existing Skills? Preprint available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=4097137
- K Waters, ST Shutters. Regional Economic Tightness from Rural to Populous Regions.
- M Rogov, M Bida, ST Shutters, C Rozenblat. Evaluating multi-level resilience of Russian urban economies 2010-2019.
- ST Shutters, K Waters (2022) Industrial structure and a tradeoff between productivity and resilience. Studies in Business and Economics 17(3): In press. Preprint available at: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3702545
- K Waters, ST Shutters (2022) Skills-Approximate Occupations: Using Networks to Guide Jobs Retraining. Applied Network Science 7(1):1-13, https://doi.org/10.1007/s41109-022-00487-7
- ST Shutters, K Waters, R Muneepeerakul (2022) Triad analysis of global energy trade networks and implications for energy trade stability. Energies 15(10):3673, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en15103673
- ST Shutters, JM Applegate (2022) The urban wage premium is disappearing in U.S. micropolitan areas. Plos One 17(4):e0267210, http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0267210
- K Waters, ST Shutters (2022) Impacts of Skills Centrality on Regional Economic Productivity and Occupational Income. Complexity 2022:5820050, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2022/5820050
- K Waters, ST Shutters (2022) Co-agglomeration Networks. American Association of Geographers 2022 Conference, New York, New York. Feb. 25, 2022
- K Waters, T Clower, ST Shutters (2022) Coal Trade Networks and Trading Communities: The case of Australia. Western Regional Science Association, 61st Annual Meeting. Scottsdale, Arizona. Feb. 19, 2022
- ST Shutters, JM Applegate, E Wentz, M Batty (2022). Urbanization favors high wage earners. npj Urban Sustainability 2:6, https://doi.org/10.1038/s42949-022-00049-x
- ST Shutters, H Seibert, B Alm, K Waters (2021) Industry interconnectedness and regional economic growth in Germany. Urban Science 6(1):1, https://doi.org/10.3390/urbansci6010001
- J Lobo, M Alberti, M Allen-Dumas, LMA Bettencourt, A Beukes, LA Bojórquez Tapia, W-Q Chen, A Dodge, Z Neal, A Perreira, D Pfeiffer, A Revi, D Roberts, C Rozenblat, ST Shutters, ME Smith, E Stokes, D Strumsky, J Wu (2021) A Convergence Research Perspective on Graduate Education for Sustainable Urban Systems Science. npj Urban Sustainability 1:39, https://doi.org/10.1038/s42949-021-00044-8
- ST Shutters (2021) Modelling long-term COVID-19 impacts on the U.S. workforce of 2029. Plos One 16(12):e0260797, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0260797
- D Rybski, P Pradhan, ST Shutters, V Butsic, JP Kropp (2021) Characterizing the sectoral development of cities. Plos One 16(7):e0254601, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254601.
- T. Slaper, R. Zipper, S.T. Shutters (2021). Augmenting regional clusters with intellectual property and labor force skills specializations. European Regional Science Association Annual Meeting. Bolzano, Italy. Aug. 25, 2021.
- K Waters, ST Shutters (2021). Impacts of Skills Centrality on Regional Economic Productivity: A Complex Systems Approach. Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, 51st Annual Meeting. Online. Jun. 11, 2021.
- K Waters, ST Shutters (2021). Regional Economic Tightness from Rural to Populous Regions. Southern Regional Science Association, 60th Annual Meeting. (online). Apr. 6, 2021.
- ST Shutters, S Kandala, F Wei, AP Kinzig (2021). Resilience of Urban Economic Structures Following the Great Recession. Sustainability 13(4):2374. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13042374.
- D Painter, ST Shutters, E Wentz (2021). Innovations and Economic Output Scale with Social Interactions in the Workforce. Urban Science 5(1):21: https://doi.org/10.3390/urbansci5010021.
- ST Shutters, K Waters (2020). Inferring networks of interdependent labor skills to illuminate urban economic structure. Entropy 22(10):1078. https://doi.org/10.3390/e22101078.
- J Lobo, M Alberti, M Allen-Dumas, E Arcaute, M Barthelemy, LA Bojorquez Tapia, S Brail, LMA Bettencourt, A Beukes, W-Q Chen, R Florida, M Gonzalez, N Grimm, M Hamilton, C Kempes, CE Kontokosta, C Mellander, ZP Neal, S Ortman, D Pfeiffer, M Price, A Revi, C Rozenblat, D Rybski, M Siemiatycki, ST Shutters, ME Smith, EC Stokes, D Strumsky, G West, D White, J Wu, VC Yang, A York, H Youn (2020). Urban Science: Integrated Theory from the First Cities to Sustainable Metropolises (January 28, 2020). SSRN Electronic Journal: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3526940.
- J Lobo, M Alberti, M Allen-Dumas, LMA Bettencourt, A Beukes, Z Neal, D Pfeiffer, ST Shutters, ME Smith, E Stokes, D Strumsky, J Wu (2019). Graduate Education for a New Sustainable Urban Systems Science: Designing a New PhD Curriculum Integrating Sustainability Science and Urban Science. Report from the NSF Sustainable Urban Systems (SUS) Conference. SSRN Electronic Journal: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3466322.
- H Wang, Y Lu, ST Shutters, M Steptoe, F Wang, S Landis, R Maciejewski (2019). A visual analytics framework for spatiotemporal trade network analysis. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 25(1): https://doi.org/10.1109/TVCG.2018.2864844.
- ST Shutters (2018). Urban Science: Putting the "Smart" in Smart Cities. Urban Science 2(4): 94 https://doi.org/10.3390/urbansci2040094.
- ST Shutters, L Mazur (2018). Interdependence and Its Discontents. In Resilience Matters: Transformative Thinking in a Year of Crisis 12-16. L Mazur, ed. Island Press. Washington, DC. Available here.
- ST Shutters, J Lobo, R Muneepeerakul, D Strumsky, C Mellander, M Brachert, T Farinha-Fernandes, LMA Bettencourt (2018). The relationship between density and scale in information networks: The case of urban occupational networks. PLoS ONE 13(5):e0196915. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196915
- S. Candan, S.T. Shutters, C. Fortunato (2017). A Flexible Data-Centric Approach for Modeling and Analyzing Hyper Connected Megacities. Small Wars Journal 13(7):14-Jul.
- S.T. Shutters, L. Mazur (2017). Human society is totally interdependent—that’s a huge advantage, but also a huge survival risk. Quartz Ideas, 02-May-2017. Available here.
- ST Shutters, DD White, R Halden, A Venkatesan (2016). Report on Sociocultural Modeling for Dense Urban Areas. Arizona State University Technical Report to U.S. Army TRADOC.
- R Florida, ST Shutters, G Spencer (2016). Pathways to Ontario’s Knowledge Economy: A system for identifying existing regional strengths and future prospects. Martin Prosperity Research Working Paper Series, 2016-MPIWP-001. Martin Prosperity Institute, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- ST Shutters (2016). United we fall, divided we stand: Resilience and the role of interdependence. International Urban Resilience Research Network, Viewpoints. Available here.
- ST Shutters (2016) Interdependent Preferences and Prospects for Global Sustainability. International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice 12(3):25-39. https://doi.org/10.18848/2325-1166/CGP/v12i03/25-39
- ST Shutters, R Muneepeerakul, J Lobo (2016). Constrained pathways to a creative urban economy. Urban Studies, 53(16):3439-3454. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098015616892
- ST Shutters, R Muneepeerakul, J Lobo (2016). How hard is it for urban economies to become “green”? Environment and Planning B: Planning & Design 43(1):198-209. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265813515600108
- ST Shutters, W Herche, E King (2016). Anticipating Megacity Responses to Shocks: Using Urban Integration and Connectedness to Assess Resilience. Small Wars Journal, 12(2):26-Feb. Available here.
- ST Shutters (2015). Cities which plan to transform into a creative engine of innovation may face a long and difficult journey. London School of Economics, US Centre, Daily Blog on US Politics and Policy. Available here.
- MR McHale, STA Pickett, O Barbosa, DN Bunn, ML Cadenasso, DL Childers, M Gartin, G Hess, DM Iwaniec, T McPhearson, MN Peterson, AK Poole, L Rivers III, ST Shutters, W Zhou (2015). The New Global Urban Realm: Complex, Connected, Diffuse, and Diverse Social-Ecological Systems. Sustainability 7(5):5211-5240. https://doi.org/10.3390/su7055211
- ST Shutters, R Muneepeerakul, J Lobo (2015) Quantifying urban economic resilience through labour force interdependence. Palgrave Communications 1(201510):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1057/palcomms.2015.10
- ST Shutters, D Hales (2015). Altruism displays a harmonic signature in structured societies. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 18(3):2. https://doi.org/10.18564/jasss.2780
- BB Cutts, T Muñoz-Erickson, ST Shutters. (2015). Public Representation in Water Management – A Network Analysis of Organization and Public Perceptions in Phoenix, Arizona. Society and Natural Resources 28(12):1340-1357. https://doi.org/10.1080/08941920.2015.1020581
- ST Shutters, D Hales (2015). The emergence of tag-mediated altruism in structured societies (Version 2). CoMSES Computational Model Library. https://www.openabm.org/model/4510/version/2.
- M Qubbaj, ST Shutters, R Muneepeerakul (2014). Living in a network of scaling cities and finite resources. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 77(2):390-407. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11538-014-9949-3
- R Muneepeerakul, J Lobo, ST Shutters, A Gomez-Lievano, M Qubbaj (2013). Urban Economies and Occupation Space: Can They Get “There” from “Here”? PLoS ONE 8(9):e73676. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0073676
- ST Shutters (2013). Collective action and the detrimental side. of punishment. Evolutionary Psychology 11(2):327-346. https://doi.org/10.1177/147470491301100204
- ST Shutters (2013). Cultural polarization and the role of extremist agents: a simple simulation model. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7812:93-101. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-37210-0_11.
- ST Shutters (2013). Towards a rigorous framework for studying continuous 2-player games. Journal of Theoretical Biology 321:40-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2012.12.026
- ST Shutters, D Hales (2013). Tag-mediated altruism is contingent on how cheaters are defined. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 16(1):4. https://doi.org/10.18564/jasss.2090
- D Hales, ST Shutters (2013). Cooperation through the endogenous evolution of social structure. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering 126:111-126. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03473-7_10
- ST Shutters (2013). Religion as a Superorganism. Conference on Emergent Approaches to Human Sociality and Religion. Tempe, Arizona. Oct. 6, 2013.
- ST Shutters (2012). Conflict, Collapse, Networks, and Governance: 20,000,000 Humans in a Virtual Petri Dish. ASU Working Paper. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.3922.0803
- ST Shutters, R Muneepeerakul (2012). Agricultural trade networks and patterns of economic development. PLoS ONE 7(7):e39756. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0039756
- S.T. Shutters. (2012). Punishment leads to cooperative behavior in structured societies. Evolutionary Computation 20(2):301-319. https://doi.org/10.1162/EVCO_a_00062
- ST Shutters, M Halás (2011). From cells to states: A unifying framework of social relativity. European Consortium for Political Research 2011 General Conference, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland. Aug. 27, 2011. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.1990.9126
- ST Shutters (2010). From terrorism to environmental management: A novel assessment of network robustness using triad analysis. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.4647.0088
- ST Shutters (2009). Strong Reciprocity, Social Structure, and the Evolution of Cooperative Behavior. Doctoral Dissertation, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.5185.7920
- ST Shutters (2009). Strong reciprocity, social structure, and the evolution of fair allocations in a simulated ultimatum game. Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory 15(2):64-77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10588-008-9053-z
- ST Shutters (2009). Punishment, rational expectations, and relative payoffs in a networked prisoners dilemma. Social Computing and Behavioral Modeling 201-208. H. Liu, J. J. Salerno, and M. J. Young, eds. Springer. Boston. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0056-2_25
- ST Shutters, BB Cutts (2008). A simulation model of cultural consensus and persistent conflict. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computational Cultural Dynamics 71-78. V.S. Subrahamanian and A. Kruglanski, eds. AAAI Press. Menlo Park, California. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-37210-0_11
- ST Shutters, RC Balling, Jr (2006). Weekly cycling of environmental variables in Phoenix, Arizona. Atmospheric Environment 40(2):304-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.09.037
- ST Shutters, A Gitch (1998). Maximizing order entry efficiency using standard value rule sets. In Oracle Applications User Group Fall 1998 USA Conference Proceedings. OAUG. San Diego.
- ST Shutters, D Richards (1997). Facing the challenges of changing fiscal year. In Oracle Applications Users Group Fall 1997 USA Conference Proceedings. OAUG. Orlando, Florida.
- Shutters,Shade Timothy*, Michael Simeone, Julia Damarrow. Decision Support Tools for Cities Transitioning to Clean Energy (AWD00034680). Zimin Institute (7/1/2022 - 1/31/2024).
- Shutters,Shade Timothy* Growing Chinese Economic Power and the Exacerbating Effects of U.S. Economic Interdependence (AWD00036006). US Department of Defense (DOD) (6/1/2021 - 5/31/2024).
- Shutters,Shade Timothy* Labor-based metrics of urban resilience: integrating urban ecology and economics (AWD00033878). Piper (Virginia G.) Charitable Trust. (3/15/2019 - 8/30/2020).
- Miller,Jon*, Candan,Kasim, Salla,Rahul, Shutters,Shade Timothy, Boscovic,Dragan, Srivatsav,Srinivasa, Fedorschak,Kena. ASU Decision Theater - TRADOC Partnership (DOD W911S0-17-G-001). US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) (10/1/2017 - 9/30/2018).
- Shutters,Shade Timothy* Metroinsight: Knowledge discovery and real-time interventions from sensory data flows in urban spaces (NSF 1636936). NSF (9/1/2016 - 8/31/2019).
- Ruddell,Benjamin*, Shutters,Shade Timothy, Sabo,John, Gurney,Kevin, Hanemann,Michael H. INFEWS/T1: Mesoscale Data Fusion to Map and Model the US FEW system (INFEWSion) (NSF 1639529). NSF (8/18/2016 - 8/17/2020).
- Shutters,Shade Timothy*, Maciejewski,Ross. Anticipating effects of agricultural trade network on water food and political security (ASUF 30007012). Skoll Global Threats Fund (3/1/2016 - 2/28/2017).
- Halden,Rolf*, White,David, Shutters,Shade Timothy, Dalrymple,Mick, Shakarian,Paulo. US Army and Megacities: Planning for 2040 (ASURE SPA332). US Department of Defense (10/12/2015 - 10/11/2016).
- Shutters,Shade Timothy*, Barton,Michael, Laubichler,Manfred. Phase transitions and allometry in social systems. ASU CLAS (11/1/2012 - 10/31/2013)
|Course Number||Course Title|
|BIO 492||Honors Directed Study|
BIO 570: Fundamentals of Complex Adaptive Systems Science
SOS 591: Urban Sustainability Science
HON 498: Independent Research
- Resilience Alliance, Young Scholar
- NSF Predoctoral Fellow
- NSF IGERT in Urban Ecology Fellow
- Nature Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, Associate Editor and Editorial Board Member
- Urban Science, Associate Editor and Editorial Board Member
- The Computational Social Science Society of the Americas
- Community Indicators Consortium
- American Association of Geographers
- European Complex Systems Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- North American Association for Computational Social and Organizational Sciences
- International Network for Social Network Analysis
- Association for Evolutionary Economics
- American Geophysical Union
- The Association for Operations Management (formerly APICS)
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Graduate Faculty - School of Sustainability
- PhD students - 5
- Masters students - 2
- Undergraduate honors theses - 3
- Undergraduate research experience mentorships - 6
- Guest Editor, Urban Science special issue on Urban Modeling and Simulation. 2017 - 2018.
- Program committee, 2017 International Conference on Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling, & Prediction and Behavior Representation in Modeling and Simulation. Washington, DC. July 5 – 8, 2017.
- Panelist, 2017 WESTMARC summit on economic development. Glendale, Arizona. May 11, 2017.
- Program committee, 2016 International Conference on Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling, & Prediction and Behavior Representation in Modeling and Simulation. Washington, DC. June 28 – July 1, 2016.
- Program committee, Session on Urban Metabolism, Morphology and Microclimate Under Global Change. 2015 Fall Conference of the American Geophysical Union. San Francisco, California. Dec. 14 – 18, 2015
- Chair, Session on Complexity and Global Security: Sustainability in a Globalizing, Urbanizing World, 2015 European Conference on Complex Systems. Tempe, Arizona. Sep. 28 – Oct. 2, 2015.
- Organizing committee, Workshop on The Origins of Xenophobia, Mar. 30 – Apr. 1, 2012.
- External faculty advisor, Summer Undergraduate Math Enrichment Program, Simpson College, Indianola, Iowa. 2010
- Review Panelist, Cyberinfrastructure Program, US National Science Foundation. 2010.
- Invited reviewer for (partial list): American Journal of Experimental Agriculture • British Journal of Economics • City, Culture, and Society • Cogent Social Sciences • Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory • Ecosystems • Entropy • International Journal of Environment and Waste Management • International Journal of Geo-Information • International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management • International Journal of Sustainability in Economic, Social and Cultural Context • International Journal of the Commons • Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation • Journal of Cleaner Production • Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization • Journal of Theoretical Biology • Journal of Urban Technology • Management & Trade • Nature • Palgrave Communications • PLoS ONE • Physics Letters A • Royal Society Interface • Transportation Letters • Urban Affairs Review
- co-Director, Metropolitan Informatics Team, ASU Leadership Academy. 2018 – 2019.
- Founding director, The Urban Science Group @ ASU. 2016 –.
- co-Chair, 5-year strategic planning committee on Cities and Urban Science, Global Institute of Sustainability. 2013 – 2014.
- Founding faculty advisor, Interdisciplinary Complexity Science Student Organization. 2012 – 2015.
- Director, Complexity Science Speaker Series, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity. 2012 – 2014.
- Environmental economics faculty search committee, School of Life Sciences. 2008.
- Symposium judge, Research in Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering symposium. 2007.
- Undergraduate mentor, Community of Undergraduate Research Scholars program, Barrett Honors College. 2006 – 2008
- Founding officer, Student Organization for Computational Social Science. 2006 – 2008.
- Task force to establish the inaugural curriculum for the School of Sustainability. 2005 – 2006.
- Director, Current topics in Life Sciences seminar series, School of Life Sciences. 2005 – 2006.
- Curator and specimen collector, Lichen Herbarium. 2003
- Judge, MathCounts regional competition. Rochester Community and Technical College. Rochester, Minnesota. Feb. 3, 2017.
- Chair, External Audit Committee. Broadmor Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association, Tempe, Arizona. 2013 – 2014.
- External faculty advisor, E.A.R.T.H. Club, Mesa Westwood High School, Mesa, Arizona. 2012 – 2013.
- Chemistry and Math Tutor. Math & Science Help Center, Scottsdale Community College, Scottsdale, Arizona. 2001 – 2003.
- Shutters Consulting, LLC
- Big Brother/Big Sisters, Board Treasurer and Finance Chair
- CEO, Rockford Europe GmbH, Achim, Germany
- Director of International Finance, Rockford Corporation, Tempe, Arizona, USA
- Manager of Finanical Planning and Analysis, Rockford Corporation, Tempe, Arizona, USA
- Staff Accountant/Auditor, Blue and Company CPAs, Seymour, Indiana, USA