Alicia Marseille serves as the Senior Director of Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions (RMWSSS), a Global Futures Scientist in the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory, and a member of the Global Futures Lab Human Economies Collaborative.
At RMWSSS Alicia leads efforts in developing collaborations with internal and external public and private partners to advance transformational and entrepreneurial solutions for complex challenges related to sustainability. Sustainability solutions, or interventions, are holistic and are focused on social, economic, and environmental outcomes.
Her role as Senior Director follows her successful directorship of the RISN Incubator, a circular economy accelerator within the Resource Innovation and Solutions Network, or RISN. The RISN Incubator was a collaboration between RMWSSS and the Entrepreneurship + Innovation departments at Arizona State University along with the City of Phoenix and is partially funded by a U.S. Economic Development Administration grant.
Prior to joining ASU, Alicia spent seven years in economic development, working with U.S. Small Business Administration funded programs. She was the director of Arizona Women's Education and Entrepreneur Center, an SBA funded Women's Business Center, where she developed and managed the center which provided programming, services, and resources for communities across Maricopa County.
She is a highly skilled business analyst with international experience in public/private partnerships; emerging markets; expansion strategies; financial modeling, research and proposal development for funding for international finance organizations such as the International Finance Corporation and the U.S. Agency for International Development. Alicia's interest in entrepreneurship launched when she founded and operated an international small business working with a large cooperative of farmers in the Caribbean to export/import raw green coffee and distributing it across the U.S.
MBA, Business Administration, Grand Canyon University
BS, Philosophy in Interdisciplinary Studies, Miami University
Current projects as a PI or CO-PI
- City of Phoenix grant, Sustainable Agrifood Tech Incubator, in partnership ASU's J. Orin Edson Entrepreneurship + Innovation Institute
- City of Phoenix grant, Pilot Testing a Cooperative-based Business Model for a Plastics Microfactory, in partnership with a regional BIPOC organization
- Office of Naval Research grant (ONR), Micro-factories with Advanced Manufacturing to Support Adaptive Basing at Scale
- USAID grant funded the Amazon Business Alliance (formerly the Amazon Development Entrepreneurial & Learning Alliance (ADELA) or Green Growth Peru program) to “engage investors, entrepreneurs and conservation-focused businesses to promote green growth, and decrease deforestation and natural resource degradation, while improving community livelihoods." ASU is a sub-recipient to Conservation International
- Wells Fargo Foundation grant, (1) Sustainable Urban Ecology (SUE), (2) Remanufacturing Plastic Waste as a Circular Option for Small Business, (3) Sustainable Earth online platform
Completed projects as a PI or CO-PI
- USDA Rural Hub and Spoke Recycling grant, which is in partnership with municipalities, tribal communities, New Mexico Recycling Coalition, and the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
Buch R, Marseille A, Williams M, Aggarwal R, Sharma A. From Waste Pickers to Producers: An Inclusive Circular Economy Solution through Development of Cooperatives in Waste Management. Sustainability. 2021; 13(16):8925. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13168925
Marseille, A.; Buch, R. “From Waste Pickers to Producers: An Inclusive Circular Economy Solution through Development of Cooperatives in Waste Management”, 2020 International Labor Organization Symposium presentation.
Marseille, A.; Buch, R.; Aggarwal, A.; Merrigan, K,; Roseland, M. "Realizing the SDG's to Build Ethical Circular Economies", 2020 United Nationals Global Compact: Uniting Business
Marseille, A.; Buch, R. "Accelerating a Regional Circular Economy", 2019 The Sustainable Denver Summit
Marseille, A.; Bakaya, P; Barrett, B. "Reimagine Phoenix", 2019 Keynote Speaker, WASTECON hosted by Solid Waste Association of North America
Marseille, A.; Jordan, A. " Circular Economy Solutions: Innovation + Disruption + Collaboration", 2019 VentureWell Open Conference
Marseille, A.; Buch, R. “Ethical Circular Economy Workshops & Professional Certifications”, RISN Incubator cohort, 2019; GreenBiz 2018
Marseille, A.; Spencer, G.; Collins, L. "RISN and Reimagine Phoenix", 2018 Ellen McArthur Foundation CE100 Acceleration Workshop
Marseille, A.; "RISN and Reimagine Phoenix", 2018 Net Impact Conference
Marseille, A.; Spencer, G.; Buch, R.; Al Ghassani, A, "Public/Private Partnerships for Sustainability" 2018 Omani Delegation
Honors / Awards
Vision Award Winner, ASU Office of Knowledge Enterprise, 2018
Leadership Award Winner, ASU Office of Knowledge Enterprise, 2021